Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Thomas
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 28/12/2003 14:44 Tony wrote:
> [snip]
> This really rattled some peoples cages and I ended up defending PG
> against some really ill thought out attacks. Like:
>
> MySQL User:  But can PG deal with really complicated joins.
> Me:  In many cases the extra functionality of PG avoids the problems
> where really complicated joins would be needed in MySQL
>
> MySQL User:  But MySQL is fast, PG is not so fast.
> Me: With PG you can move much of the functionality INTO the database
> using stored procedures, these stored procedures will run faster than
> interpreted PHP, therefore taking the load away from the webserver.
>
> MySQL User:  But my Apache/MySQL can handle squillions of hits/queries
> etc, PG probably couldn't.  Do you know any sites that have a lot of
> traffic that use PG.
> Me: Ummmm... try the .org registry, I'm sure they have a reasonable
> traffic load.

See http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3. Its a bit out of
data wrt both dbs (MySQL 3.23.26 and PostgreSQL 7.1) but hopefully it will
help dispel the FUD which MySQL AB have been spreading and living off for
years. Also check the archives for this list and the performance list. And
of course, the MySQL gotchas at http://sql-info.de/mysql is a must-read.

> MySQL User:  What project made you move to PG from MySQL
> Me:  The confusing licensing conditions when I wanted to write a
> commercial app based on MySQL.

RedHat seem to be sufficently uneasy about MySQLs licensing to not ship
MySQL 4.x with Fedora. Instead they ship 3.23.58 whilst shipping
PostgreSQL 7.3.4 :)

For a commercial app, the issue of data integrity is paramount (hopefully
it would be a non-commercial app too!) and I, for one, would not be happy
to let my professional reputation be hostage to MySQL's gotchas. YMMV.

> This completely killed all traffic on the channel for a minute or two,
> while the cogs and gears whirred while people tried to Grock the concept
> of OSS MySQL costing money to use in an application.
>
> After this lengthy defense and answering many questions without the
> slightest hesitation from me (and I'm new to PG), it made me realise why
> I was thinking about a PostgreSQL for MySQL users paper.

Careful what you say - some people might think you're volunteering ;)

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |