Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Casey Allen Shobe
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Martin Marques (Friday 26 December 2003 14:11)
> Windows native port might be out in the next release (name it 7.5 or 8.0),
> with many other things there, and it should be out by fall of next year,
> which is much earlier then 2 years. :-)

Great.  But I really don't see how this makes the DBMS any better at all.  So
what if there's a native Windows port?  Nobody that I've ever met or talked
to uses MySQL on Windows anyways, and you can always use cygwin if you're
really desperate.

PostgreSQL is primarily an open-source database for open-source systems.  If
somebody wants to use MySQL just because they can run it on Windows, I say
let them.

What I *do* see is a whole bunch of MySQL users running around yapping about
how great and fantastic and fast MySQL is and how crappy PostgreSQL is.  I
really don't understand them, and they're impossible to reason with.

You can ask "Does MySQL support nested select statements?  I use these every
day", and they respond with "You can just use MySQL's proprietary SQL
extensions to do the same thing another way; and MySQL is fast, too!".

I think about the same of these people as I do of people who rave about the
superiority of Windows, their chosen religion, or the country they live in -
underinformed bigots.

From all that I've read in terms of power, flexibility, and features,
PostgreSQL is far ahead of MySQL.  And I've yet to see even the slightest
speed issue with a properly designed database schema.  Maybe MySQL is faster
with un-normalized tables, and that's why they like to say it's faster?  I
don't know, but I really don't care if that's the case.

Vertu sæll,

--
Sigþór Björn Jarðarson (Casey Allen Shobe)
cshobe@softhome.net / http://rivyn.livejournal.com

Free development contributor of: