Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training
Date
List pgsql-general
Bret Busby wrote:
> Regarding the PostgreSQL training that is provided by companies, a
> problem with that, as it exists, is that, insofar as I am aware, that
> training is not standardised,

"Linux" training is not standardized by any measure either.  Lots of
companies and "institutions" offer their own training courses.  Some of
these grow to be fairly well recognized and are offered in similar form
repeatedly in different locations, but that is not "standardized" in
the sense you propose.  Companies and institutions are free to start
their own training programs for PostgreSQL like that and hope they
succeed, but no one has felt like it yet.

> But, this is a (relatively) small city, of only about a million or so
> people, in a remote corner of the world, and, we have no dedicated
> companies providing PostgreSQL training, which appears (from what I
> have seen so far) to be available only in the USA.

Certainly, PostgreSQL training has been know to happen in a large number
of different locations.  And some people have been known to travel
large distances to provide custom training.  Just ask if you're
interested.

> Thus, for those training and certification courses, that I have
> mentioned as being available here, they are available to me, and,
> likely, to most (if not everyone) on these lists, and, they should be
> at the same standards and levels of competency, and have the same
> course content, regardless of location, due to the standardisation of
> those courses and certifications. But, the PostgreSQL training,
> insofar as I am ware, is both not standardised, and, completely
> localised.

It is only possible to offer "worldwide" "standardized" training
programs if some organization operates worldwide and can run the show.
Such organizations don't exist for PostgreSQL at this time.  That is
the problem.  The PostgreSQL project is never going to organize
standardized training, because it doesn't have the power to organize or
run it.  The other examples you cited don't work that way either.  They
are run by companies.  But the companies can only reach as far as their
resources allow.

Another point is that standard training doesn't really make you a lot of
money unless you scale really well.  It's most interesting if you
provide custom training, or if you expect follow-up jobs from it.  Most
people I've heard of do PostgreSQL training for these reasons.