Re: Presentation: Adoption and Trends - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Presentation: Adoption and Trends
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Bruce,

> Josh, I still need your OK to use your name on the slide talking about
> open source development structures.

OK, now I've had time to view it.

My one worry is that my pigeonholing of projects by name was based on the OSS
rumor mill rather than extensive research.  For example, my putting XFree86
into the "corporate council" category was based on a couple of editorials on
Slashdot ... hardly reliable information.  (Gnome is a little more
substantial, being based on a description of their governance related to me
by a Sun staff member).   Java might be a better example of a "corporate
council" project, as it is owned by Sun but heavily influenced by IBM, BEA,
and a few other companies.

Unfortunately, I really don't see my getting the time to verify this
catagorization for each project before you leave for Japan -- I'm still
catching up from being out of town.  So if you don't either, I'd suggest a
fat disclaimer on the page.

Incidentally, a Debian contributor pointed out that Debian is a really good
candidate for category #1.

FWIW, I don't really buy your "uniqueness" argument, but it's your
presentation.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions