Re: pg_restore and create FK without verification check - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: pg_restore and create FK without verification check
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Quite honestly, I think they should check their foreign keys.  In a
> partial restore situation there is no guarantee that the referenced
> table and the referencing table are being restored at the same time from
> the same dump.  An override in that situation looks like a great tool
> for shooting yourself in the foot.
>
> People might be more interested in debating this topic with you if we
> hadn't discussed it at length just a couple months back.  There wasn't
> consensus then that we had to offer an escape hatch, and you've not
> offered any argument that wasn't made before.

I actually thought the majority in the past discussion thought that an
escape hatch was a good idea, but that the discussion broke down in trying
to determine what sort of hatch that might be (iirc, it got off into the
general discussion of disabling constraints for normal operation as
opposed to at alter time).