Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ow
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?  (Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>)
List pgsql-hackers
--- Dann Corbit <DCorbit@connx.com> wrote:
> Which feature is requested more than that?

Not sure how often features are requested and by whom. However, if you take a
look at the TODO list, you'll find plenty of stuff more important than win32
port.

> Of the following (which includes every significant DBMS in terms of
> market share), which did not consider a native Windows port to be
> important:
> SQL*Sever (all right, we can discount this one...)
> DB/2
> Oracle
> MySQL
> Sybase
> Informix

Have *never* seen ppl running Oracle or Sybase on Windows. Not sure about DB/2
or Informix, never worked with them, but I'd suspect the picture is the same.
They may claim that they have win port but it's more of a marketing gimmick
than a useful feature that affects real, not hypothetical, users.

IMHO, core postgreSql development should not be sacrificed for the sake of
win32 port.