Re: Release cycle length - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Release cycle length
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Neil Conway wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> > On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >
> >> 0. As you say, make it known to the public.  Have people test their
> >>    in-development applications using a beta.
> >
> > and how do you propose we do that?  I think this is the hard part
>
> (1) Make the beta more obvious on the website, as we've already
>     discussed
>
> (2) Make a freshmeat.net release announcement for _each_ beta, RC, and
>     of course the final release (we totally missed this during 7.4).
>     There are probably other software release announcement sites we
>     could inform.

Damn, I keep forgetting freshmeat.net altogether ... will get that one
during the day tomorrow ...

> (3) Is it worth trying to get some technical press coverage for the
>     start of the beta process? I don't mean on PHB-oriented sites like
>     ComputerWorld or ZdNet where we need to do the work of getting a
>     press release prepared, but OSNews or Slashdot just need a link to
>     the release notes and the source tarballs.

I think so ... just a heads up to tell ppl that we are heading into the
final stretch for the next release, and testing would be 'a good thing'