Re: Release cycle length - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From elein
Subject Re: Release cycle length
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 12:36:11AM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > 0. As you say, make it known to the public.  Have people test their
> >    in-development applications using a beta.
>
> and how do you propose we do that?  I think this is the hard part ...
> other then the first beta, I post a note out to -announce and -general
> that the beta's have been tag'd and bundled for download ... I know Sean
> does up a 'devel' port for FreeBSD, but I don't believe any of the RPM/deb
> maintainers do anything until the final release ...

For what it is worth, I try to promote the beta testing on general bits.
I also invite people to write articles for me.  To highlight a feature
or concept or just to egg people on in a short article by a guest to
general bits is very appropriate.  My audience might not be core
hackers, but getting the larger user group to participate as well
as prepare for conversion is something I can help promote.
(Just contact me to submit articles for publication--the invitation
is always open.)

--elein

elein@varlena.com       Varlena, LLC          www.varlena.com
          PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training

PostgreSQL General Bits   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/