Re: Comparing databases - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Comparing databases
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 05:42:15PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:

>   - If I were an Informix VAR, I'd be _really_ concerned after the IBM
>   acquisition.  Informix was a Really Big Company; size doesn't
>   forcibly mitgate risk.
>
>   - I don't quite understand how Sybase is still in business, unless
>   Microsoft is still paying them some royalties on SQL Server...

These are also two good examples, because at one point or another,
these were both considered products that were the best in their
class, that were more or less unbeatable, and that were therefore sfe
and solid choices.

You could talk about this without naming particular products, if you
wanted.  I tend to agree with Chris, however, that more words are
unlikely to be read by the PHB targets.  In my experience, a
paragraph with more than three sentences makes so called technology
decisions makers' eyes glaze over.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110