Re: too many clients - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Paul Thomas
Subject Re: too many clients
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On 04/11/2003 15:03 Glenn Holmer wrote:
> Paul Thomas wrote:
>>
>> On 04/11/2003 13:34 Glenn Holmer wrote:
>>
>>> What does this mean and how do I diagnose it?
>>>
>>> java.sql.SQLException: FATAL:  Sorry, too many clients already
>>>
>>> Not all the Postgres databases on this machine are experiencing this.
>>> One of them is using pooling with Tomcat and the JNDI interface.
>>>

>> You've probably reached max_connections. Try upping the value in your
>> postgresql.conf. You'll need to restart the back-end for it to take
>> effect.
>
> This is on SuSE 8.2, which provides a file /etc/sysconfig/postgresql;
> this is where we put "-i" for TCP/IP.  Since that's a postmaster flag,
> I'm probably OK with putting the max_connections here as well?  Looks
> like it would be, e.g. "-i -N 64 -B 128"? (space after -N and -B?)

I don't use Suse but I'd guess that the file contains command-line
parameters to the postmaster so you should be OK.

Unless your machine has only got about 16-MB RAM, I'd increase buffers
(-B) to at least 1000 for performance reasons and max_connections (-N) to
100.

--
Paul Thomas
Business |