Re: Using UNION inside a cursor - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christoph Haller
Subject Re: Using UNION inside a cursor
Date
List pgsql-sql

> Dear Friends,
>
> I am working on Postgresql 7.3.4 on RH Linux Server 7.3.=20
>
> I have problem in executing the following procedure
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION list_history()
>   RETURNS refcursor AS
> 'DECLARE
>  ref   REFCURSOR;
> BEGIN
>  OPEN ref FOR
>  (SELECT  * FROM history  WHERE obs_type =3D \'AA\' )
>  UNION=20
>  (SELECT  * FROM  history  WHERE   obs_type =3D \'TA\');
>
>  RETURN ref;
> END;'
>   LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;
>
> While executing this I got the following error
>
> WARNING:  plpgsql: ERROR during compile of list_history near line 5
> ERROR:  syntax error at "("
>
> While I execute the following code it is working fine and fetches values.
>  (SELECT  * FROM history  WHERE obs_type =3D \'AA\' )
>  UNION=20
>  (SELECT  * FROM  history  WHERE   obs_type =3D \'TA\');
>
> Where I am wrong. Please shed some light,
>
> Regards
> Kumar

My suspicion is the plpgsql parser doesn't accept the opening
parenthesis. What happens on
 OPEN ref FOR SELECT * FROM ( (SELECT  * FROM history  WHERE obs_type =3D \'AA\' ) UNION=20 (SELECT  * FROM  history
WHERE  obs_type =3D \'TA\') ) ;

Regards, Christoph