Re: SCSI vs. IDE performance test - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: SCSI vs. IDE performance test
Date
Re: SCSI vs. IDE performance test  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 12:17:59AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Rick Gigger" <rick@alpinenetworking.com> writes:
> > Do serial ATA drives suffer from the same issue?
>
> Um, not an expert, but I think ATA is the same as IDE except for bus
> width and transfer rate.  If either one allows for multiple concurrent
> read/write transactions I'll be very surprised.

Well, some googleing around seems to indicate that Serial ATA I/ATA-6 has
Tagged Command Queueing (TCQ) which is adding this feature specifically.
Whether it is a mandatory part of the spec I don't know.

> "All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good
> men to do nothing." - Edmond Burke
> "The penalty good people pay for not being interested in politics is to be
> governed by people worse than themselves." - Plato

Attachment