Re: [OT] Choosing a scripting language. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: [OT] Choosing a scripting language.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 21:35, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >I agree with you on using the right tool for the job.  Except Perl.
> >The more I use other languages, the less I want to use Perl.  Maybe it was
> >a bad experience as a junior developer long ago with it or something :-)
> >

> The problem with Perl is that it is written to provide any and all ways
> to do one thing.
> The problem with Python is that it is written to provide on way to do
> one thing (in theory).
> The problem with this argument is that anybody can be a bad programmer ;)

The only parse tree for that last sentence that makes any sense to
me seems to imply that people who use Python are bad programmers,
as opposed to people who plant inward-facing claymores at their PC
(implicit variables in Perl), and wield sharp knives on freshly waxed
dance floors (pointers, in C).

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"What other evidence do you have that they are terrorists, other
than that they trained in these camps?"
17-Sep-2002 Katie Couric to an FBI agent regarding the 5 men
arrested near Buffalo NY