Re: pg_ctl reports succes when start fails - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_ctl reports succes when start fails
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >Tommi Maekitalo <t.maekitalo@epgmbh.de> writes:
> >

> >>I installed 7.4beta5, created a data-dir and tried to start postgresql with
> >>pg_ctl without initdb. As expected, this will fail. But pg_ctl tells me
> >>"postmaster successfully started", after a fatal error, which looks very
> >>confusing. When I use -l for specifying a logfile, I don't even see the
> >>error, but only the success-message.
> >>

> >If you don't use -w, then pg_ctl doesn't wait around to see whether the
> >postmaster started or not.  It'd probably be a good idea for it to issue
> >a less positive message in this case, maybe only "postmaster launched".
> >
> >I also wonder why -w isn't the default.
> >

> It is for stop but not for start/restart, which does seem a bit odd.
>
> On a slightly related note, I see that this is still a shell script, as
> are initlocation, ipcclean and pg_config. I assume these will have to be
> rewritten in C for the Win32 port?

OK, I updated the Win32 web page to mention we need a C version of
pg_ctl.  I don't think we will need pg_config once we have initdb in C,
and I don't think it is worth doing initlocation because we need
tablespaces.

Pennsylvania19073