Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martin Marques
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)  (Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk>)
List pgsql-general
El Jue 09 Oct 2003 22:44, Marsh Ray escribió:
> Just out of curiosity, what does Debian make MySQL's rather bizarre
> interpretaion of the GPL:
>
> http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Introduction.html
>#Copyright --- begin quote ----
>
> You need a commercial license:
> [...]
>     When you distribute a non-|GPL| application that *only* works with
> the |MySQL| software and ship it with the |MySQL| software. This type of
> solution is considered to be linking even if it's done over a network.
>
> --- end quote ----
> "Linking over a network"? What stops some GPL'ed web server (or
> commercial one for that matter) from demanding non-free licensing for
> web clients that connect to it?

I would like to know what Debian is going to do with PHP and MySQL. There's
alot of talk about this in the PHP related lists.
PHP folks do think that there may be some sort of incompatibility between the
two licenses.

--
 08:49:01 up 7 days, 18:26,  2 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.18, 0.25
Martín Marqués                  |        mmarques@unl.edu.ar