PostgreSQL conferences - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject PostgreSQL conferences
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Jan Wieck wrote:
> > We will be at the convention with some card tables, some CDs and a handful of
> > xeroxed brochures.   MySQL will have a multi-media booth with big banners and
> > uniforms.  We need some substance to counter the glitz, and this is a very
> > good start.

Let me add that having a small booth isn't a major problem.  I have seen
huge MySQL/Oracle booths where no one visited and it looked dead, and I
have seen small booths where things were going great.  The booth has to
have some color to be visible, and you have to have your folks out in
front of the booth engaging people.  There is nothing worse than having
your folks mull around in the back of the booth with nothing going on.

Based on my recent travels, there will be lots of activity at your
booth.  I go to these conferences, and the first hour, I am thinking,
"Man, I should be reading email instead of standing around doing
nothing", then people find me and I am talking to PostgreSQL users for
the rest of the entire day --- it happens every time, so be ready.  Make
sure to wear name tags so people can indentify you from your emails ---
that's how they find you and know who you are so they can go up and talk
to you, and it makes their day, and you will get a great lift from the
experience.  Of course, they aren't really thanking me, but all of you
who work on PostgreSQL, and I point that out.