Re: Pg_dump : Can I specify the Password ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Pg_dump : Can I specify the Password ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:28:18PM -0700, N.K. wrote:

> I'm doing automated database dump and want to be able to specify
> Username and Passowrd in my shell script for pg_dump.

What PG version are you using?  If you are on 7.3 or later you can use
the ~/.pgpass file.  If you are using an earlier version, try the
PGPASSWORD environment variable.

They are both documented in the "libpq" section of the docs, IIRC.

"El sentido de las cosas no viene de las cosas, sino de
las inteligencias que las aplican a sus problemas diarios
en busca del progreso." (Ernesto Hernández-Novich)