Re: Ammunition - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Ammunition
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Christopher Browne wrote:

> pgman@candle.pha.pa.us (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> > To me, the big MySQL issue is that it isn't an open source
> > development project, just a company that distributes code via open
> > source.  They will never be able to keep up with us.
>
> I found the quote from Scott McNealy most ironic:
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,78443,00.html
>
> "If you want to save...money, make the default database MySQL. It's
> free, it's bundled [with Sun's Solaris software], you've got the whole
> open-source community working on making it better. If Yahoo and Google
> can run their entire operations on MySQL, then certainly there's a
> huge chunk of your operations that could run on it as well."

I had a chat with some of the Google guys when I went to LinuxWorld in New
York 2 years back ... unless something has changed dramatically, Google
has their own backend engine, and it isn't/wasn't MySQL ... and has Yahoo
been using Google for awhile now?

Can anyone confirm whether Google is, in fact, using MySQL?