Re: PostGreSQL - Accessing It - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Thomas
Subject Re: PostGreSQL - Accessing It
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/08/2003 23:51 Michael wrote:
> I installed RedHat 9.0 and found that PostGreSql was installed with the
> OS.  I started the service, tried to create a database.
>
> I cannot access/create a database from root or any of the other accounts
> I have setup for RH9.  I noticed that there is a user setup for postgres
> (I guess this part of the postgres install) but can't login as that
> user.  I can't even read or change the password.  How do I get at
> PostGreSql?

 From root, simply su postgres.

What I usually do then is use PostgreSQL's createuser command to create a
new super-user (i.e., one which can create new databases and new users).
On my developemt box, I make this the same as my login name. On production
boxes, we create a specific dba account an use that.

> Secondarily - does anyone know if JDBC drivers are part of the RH9
> PostGreSql install?

Yes but its in a separate RPM (on disk 2 IRC).
HTH

--
Paul Thomas
Business |