Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Rory Campbell-Lange
Subject Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi Josh

On 31/07/03, Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
> > Another alternative is that I could write a newbie's gentle
> > introduction to using pl/pgsql. With Josh's initial encouragement I
> > have recently delivered a very successful project using Postgres
> > functions. Development speed was greatly assisted by providing
> > consistent database interfaces while the operations behind those
> > interfaces could change. The system uses a combination of php and
> > postgres, so I could hit some advocacy targets by describing the
> > integration here!
>
> I would be delighted to co-write an article on PHP + Data-Push
> Functions in PL/pgSQL architecture with you.
>
> For example, a fun one would be to do "Powerful search screens with
> PHP, and PL/PgSQL Set Returning Functions"

I have a little writing experience, although on the subject of
architecture! I would be more than delighted to collaborate on writing
something along the lines of what you suggest. A serious caveat is that
I don't consider myself a good programmer.

A possibly elegant approach to what you suggest is for us to dream up a
PHP/Postgres task and for me as a relative newbie to provide a solution.
You could then "crit" it (i.e. point out flaws and superior approaches),
and this could become part of the basis for the article, or for
explaining to readers why certain approaches have advantages over
others.

All the best,
Rory

--