Re: vacuum does not reclaim rows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: vacuum does not reclaim rows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:51:16PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> but I haven't really thought through the details.  In any case, that
> would be extra bookkeeping needed during every transaction start,
> so I'd want to see proof of a generally-useful improvement in return.

For what it's worth, we have redesigned around this very problem,
because we had a table, vacuumed every 5 minutes, which was always >
50% dead tuples.  Of course, we _were_ able to redesign around it,
but I'm not sure whether we just moved the problem to a new location.
We'll see in the upcoming weeks.  (Our testing says no, but I always
figure there's _some_ strange client case I never thought of.)

----
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M2P 2A8                                        +1 416 646 3304
x110