Re: jobs.postgresql.org - SPEC - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: jobs.postgresql.org - SPEC
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tuesday 01 Jul 2003 8:23 am, Rudi Starcevic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As a start on jobs.postgresql.org we need to build a spec. list for the
> site.
> I can start off a few idea's and other's can add their input.
>
> The site can be simple or elaborate.
>
> Here's some simple points to begin with:
> There just idea's - nothing set in concrete.

Can I make a suggestion based on the fact that I was IT manager for a
recruitment firm for three years and still do consultancy work in
recruitment.

There's one and only one factor that really matters - how many jobs have you
got listed?*

The functionality of the site itself is icing on the cake - what drives usage
is an active turnover of vacancies. What possible number of jobs are there?

Quick search:
  theregister.co.uk - 2 jobs
  jobsearch.co.uk - 3 jobs
  gojobsite.co.uk - 3 jobs
  computerweekly.co.uk - 0 jobs

Now, it looked like at least one of those was a duplicate. Most were developer
jobs (Perl/PHP that happened to mention PG amongst the usual long list of
desired skills).

So - we get the two sysadmin jobs out of the above posted every month (say).
That means that once I pick UK from the search options, there's no point in
any more search functionality, I can read all vacancies on one page. In fact,
if that's the level of activity we could get by with a couple of screens of
PHP script.

Rudi - before you start building search systems, I'd strongly recommend
getting answers to two questions:
  1. How many vacancies per month per country?
  2. How do we get those vacancies onto jobs.postgresql.org?

Not trying to rain on your parade here, but I'd hate to see you spend a lot of
effort on a site that attracted no vacancies.

PS - your options list looked good, except for the "Flash?".

* In a conventional situation, how many candidates too, but anyone who knows
what they're doing will be subscribed to one or more mailing lists, so almost
all potential candidates should know about the service.

--
  Richard Huxton