Re: [BUGS] Problem with duplicate file. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: [BUGS] Problem with duplicate file.
Date
List pgsql-general
I don't see anything in this that's a bug report, so I'm redirecting to
-general.

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, [utf-8] abremond@voila.fr wrote:

> I work with a database PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on Linux.
>
> I observe that the size of my database is bigger and when I verify the
> size for each file on the database directory, I remark that one of
> this files (16404) is duplicate in two files : 16404.1 and 16404.2.
> Moreover, the files 16404 and 16404.1 have the same size (1 Giga)
> I don't understand why the file (16404) is duplicate in two another
> files 16404.1 and 16404.2.
> I don't undertand this architecture. Could you give me an explication ?

IIRC, some systems have trouble with large files, PostgreSQL breaks the
data for tables at one gigabyte boundaries.  So 16404 is the first gig,
16404.1 is the second, etc...