Re: Two weeks to feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date
Re: Two weeks to feature freeze  (The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Robert,

> Well, I suppose that history has shown that waiting on specific features
> causes trouble with postgresql development, but I don't see why a
> release can't be based around waiting for feature x as long as feature x
> is being actively worked on by trusted developers who have an endgame in
> sight.

Ultimately, this is one of those "technical" vs. "marketing" questions ...
whether to release now with a bunch of back-end features that the current
users want, or to release later and include the features that we said were
going to be in 7.4.   And PostgreSQL is a technical project, not a marketing
one.

I know that, given MySQL's attempts to squeeze PostgreSQL out of the market,
that there is a lot of desire to include at least one "killer feature" in
each release to grab press coverage.   But the PostgreSQL project can't let
our technical decisions be governed by our PR, or we *become* MySQL.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions