Re: A creepy story about dates. How to prevent it? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Thomas
Subject Re: A creepy story about dates. How to prevent it?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 18/06/2003 22:09 scott.marlowe wrote:
> [snip]
> Why bother checking for wrong dates sometimes (i.e. 03/33/2003) but not
> all the time (i.e. 13/03/2003)?

ISTR that DB2 used to do the same (maybe still does - haven't used it for
a few years). Still, IMHO, it is frustrating. I would rather have the db
be ultra-strict, forcing me to handle dates correctly and rigorously in my
app.

> [snip]
> I do plenty of format checking, this isn't the same.  This is range
> checking.  I expect my database to do that for me.

Agreed, although if the user gets his data thrown back at him by the db
then I feel that this is a bug in my program. YMMV.

regards

--
Paul Thomas
Business |