Re: Initial draft for our "Code of Ethics and Conduct" - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Initial draft for our "Code of Ethics and Conduct"
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 23:27:21 +0800,
  Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:

>  - Mentoring at least one new member annually

If this refers to new Marketting/Advocacy members I think this may not
be workable unless a lot of people are leaving the group. Otherwise
it implies that the group must double in size every year for enough people
to be available to be mentored.

>  - Tell only and all the truth

What about exceptions for people who have signed NDAs?

>  - Abide by the laws and the regulations of the juristiction

Was this supposed to be "their" (instead of "the") juristiction?
I wouldn't want to agree with that (but then I am not really a good
candidate for the advocacy group) as it would rule out civil disobediance
or just ignoring stupid laws.

>  - Choose PostgreSQL solutions whenever those meet the needs of the users

I think this is a bad idea. The ethical thing to do is to provide people
with the best soltuion for them taking into account all of their needs.