Re: [GENERAL] MySQL gets $19.5 MM - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [GENERAL] MySQL gets $19.5 MM
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Dennis,

> But others are right. We need someone like IBM is to Linux, or Apple is to
Konqueror.  Someone who puts a lot of time and money into the product for
their own selfish interests, but then releases it.

I'd like a little funding, just for Trade shows.  Heck, I'd go to 6 shows a
year for PostgreSQL, if someone would pay me to do it.

But getting dependant on funding from one company for development is
dangerous.   Talk to the Apache folks about their relationship to IBM, or the
Mozilla folks about AOL, or the Gnome folks, or anyone on OpenOffice.org
about Sun ... even where the project works well (like those) the participants
spend a *lot* of time politicking with the sponsor -- some months, more time
than you spend developing.

We are gratefully free of that, and you don't know how good that is until
you've had to deal with the opposite.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions