Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Darko Prenosil (by way of Darko Prenosil
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 27 May 2003 07:29, Nikola Milutinovic wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Maybe this has already been discussed, but here goes. I'm trying to run
> PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP Professional. After some time I've learned that
> it must be installed under C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL for Cygwin to work
> (my default drive is D).
>
> When I run "initdb", it starts and when it reaches a point of creating
> "template1" DB, it - or should I say postmaster - crashes, saying it failed
> initialising Semaphores in a procedure Ipc*******. Now, I know that Windows
> most likely doesn't have IPC and that *that* procedure must be some sort of
> "internal adapter" for different OSes. I'm also pretty sure it works on at
> least some other Windows OS, but I'd like to have it WinXP.
>
> Can anyone lend a hand, shed some light,...

    Yes, You have to download and install IPC package.
There is detailed description on how to install IPC and setup postgresql on
cygwin in /usr/share/packages or something like that. If You do not manage to
find it, let me know, I will send You right location(I'm on my linux box now
and can not check).

    Regards !

P.S. Pomalo smješno, ali takva su pravila (pitanje na engleskom-odgovor na
engleskom)