Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)
Date
List pgsql-performance
Chad,

> I realize that Im a raid on linux newbie so any suggestions are appreciated.
> Im thinking I want to put this on an IDE Raid array, probably 0+1. IDE seems
> to be cheap and effective these days.
> What ive been able to glean from other postings is that I should have 3
> drives, 2 for the database w/ striping and another for the WAL.

Well, RAID 0+1 is only relevant if you have more than 2 drives.  Otherwise,
it's just RAID 1 (which is a good choice for PostgreSQL).

More disks is almost always better.  Putting WAL on a seperate (non-RAID) disk
is usually a very good idea.

> I would also appreciate raid hardware suggestions (brands, etc)
> And as always im not afraid to RTFM if someone can point me to the FM :-)

Use Linux Software RAID.    To get hardware RAID better than Linux Software
RAID, you have to spend $800 or more.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions