Re: > 16TB worth of data question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: > 16TB worth of data question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 08:13:50AM -0500, Jeremiah Jahn wrote:

> That's the question...That 2 TB of data is nothing but documents and
> images. I'm under the perception that if that gets parked on a fibre
> channel disk array/ SAN the data will be pretty safe, and the server
> mostly replaceable at that time. Storage is my worry more than
> processing power. I don't think I'm on crack here...?

"Processing power" isn't automatically what server-class hardware
will get you.

You need good ECC memory.  You need good disk controllers.  You need
to make sure that random flakey garbage hardware will not write
random flakey garbage all over your high quality disk array.  Speed
may not be an issue, but reliability really is.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110