Re: default locale considered harmful? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: default locale considered harmful?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info> writes:
> >> [ can't LIKE use an index? ]
>
> > Yes.  But locale is enabled by default now, and if you use anything
> > other than C (and other-than-C is increasingly the default on the
> > supported platforms), it won't work.  Just make sure that your locale
> > is C when you do initdb.
>
> I recall someone floating a proposal that initdb should by default
> initialize the database in C locale, not whatever-it-finds-in-the-
> environment.  To get a non-C locale you'd have to give an explicit
> command-line switch --- essentially, reversing the sense of the present
> "initdb --no-locale" option.
>
> I'm beginning to think that would be a good idea, given the increasing
> prevalence of en_US as a platform locale setting.  Comments?

I agree with that initdb should by default initialize the database in
C locale. I have found on a local list too many users in Japan are
suffered by the locale problem and I'm getting tired of saying "you
should not forget to explicitly specify --no-locale siwtch".
--
Tatsuo Ishii