Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?") - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?")
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin Brown <kevin@sysexperts.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> This has been proposed and rejected repeatedly in the tablespace
>> discussions.  It's too limiting; and what's worse, it's not actually
>> any easier to implement than a proper tablespace facility.

> It's not?  This is a little surprising, since the type information is
> already stored, is it not?  A proper tablespace implementation
> requires the addition of commands to manage it and table
> infrastructure to store it.

Well, yeah, you do have to provide some user interface stuff ;-)

But the hard, dirty, dangerous stuff is all in the low-level internals
(bufmgr, smgr, etc).  I don't want to put a kluge in there when the same
amount of work will support a non-kluge solution.

Also, you'd still have to provide some user interface stuff for the
kluge, so it's not like you can avoid doing any work at that level.