Re: Tech Docs and Consultants - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Tech Docs and Consultants
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Robert,
>
> > Zope is installed given zwiki is currently powering the guides section
> > of the techdocs site. Personally I think plone is overkill for techdocs.
> > Photo Albums? Polls?  Zwiki by itself will give us what we need without
> > duplicating things that should be done at the other sites.
>
> The probblem, as I see it, is that Zwiki lacks an user+page rights
> administration interface.  From the docs, one has to add DHTML code to every
> single page which you want to have special rights; there's no cental
> management.
>
> From my perspective, we need a system which supports the following rights
> options, *without* requring hand-tweaking of the DHTML of each page:
> -- Only admin can edit the page
> -- Only the original submitter and the admin can edit the page
> -- Only registered users can edit the page
> -- Anyone can edit the page
>
> We also need a system that allows uploading of files and embedding of images
> by users.   And I would prefer one that supports heirarchy trails at the top
> of the page to help users navigate.
>
> Doubtless Zwiki could be improved to include all these things.   But as I
> don't even do Python, I'm not the one to do it ...

'K, let's try this from a different perspective ... first, I don' care
what technology that we move techdocs over to so long as its OSS, and runs
under FreeBSD ...

With that in mind, Josh ... since you seem willing to take the lead on
this, I think that this falls under more an 'administrative' then a 'user'
decision ... what tools do you require?

Please note that altho Bricolage (or someone mentioned something
called plone?) might be "overkill", who cares if you don't use all the
features, as long as those features you do use meet your needs?