Re: Anyone working on better transaction locking? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Anyone working on better transaction locking?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 01:45:25PM +0000, Ron Peacetree wrote:
> Unfortunately, the performance of PostgreSQL MVCC in comparison to say
> Oracle (the performance leader amongst MVCC DB's, and pretty much for
> all DB's for that matter) is not competitive.  Therefore there is a

What, is this a troll?  The question apparently reduces to, "Why
isn't PostgreSQL as good as Oracle?"  I have two things to say about
that:

1.    For what?  There are things that Oracle users will tell you
not to do, because there is a faster way in Oracle.

2.    How do you know?  I haven't seen any real benchmarks
comparing PostgreSQL and Oracle similarly tuned on similar hardware.
So I'm sceptical.

But if you have specifica areas which you think need improvement (and
aren't already listed in the TODO), I'll bet people would like to
hear about it.

----
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M2P 2A8                                        +1 416 646 3304
x110