Re: Converting from dbase - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Converting from dbase
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday 03 April 2003 22:35, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Can anyone tell me where to get the file dbf2pg-3.0.tar.gz? I want to
> convert dbf files to PostgreSQL and I see references to this file all
> over the net as located at
> ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/incoming/dbf2pg-3.0.tar.gz, but that does
> not exists.

> Also, there is a contrib/dbase in the source of 7.3.2, but can't seem to
> get it to make. The README is more of a manual than installation
> instructions. Anyone familiar with getting contribs installed,
> particularly this one?

According to my RPM 'postgresql-contrib' dbf2pg is in contrib, and it builds
ok when I build the RPMset.  See the source RPM's specfile to see how it is
built and the directory context in which it is built.  I'll give you a hint,
though: here's the relevant section, executed with the current directory at
the top of the PostgreSQL source tree:

make -C contrib all

It Just Works (TM) when the proper context is available.  The proper context
is a built source tree, ready to be installed.  IOW, execute ./configure
(with your options), then make, then make -C contrib all.  All the contrib
modules (including dbf2pg) will get built.

Peter Eisentraut (who is responsible for It Just Works (TM)) can answer more
specific questions if I can't.

To install the contribs 'make -C contrib install' (which does install _all_
the contribs -- but the local makefile can be executed separately.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio