Re: unable to dump database, toast errors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: unable to dump database, toast errors
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 09:02:48PM -0800, Lonni Friedman wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.  Can pgfsck run on a live database, or does it
> need to be shutdown first?

While you could in theory run it on a live database I wouldn't recommend it
given it can't get a consitant snapshot. But if you're just scanning for
problems it should be fine. It's a read-only program, it never actually
writes to the postgres files.

> NOTICE: Index pg_toast_302323_idx: NUMBER OF INDEX' TUPLES (86316) IS
> NOT THE SAME AS HEAP' (86292).
> Recreate the index.
>
> So, i took down the DB, started it in standalone, and ran:
> reindex INDEX pg_toast_302323_idx
>
> but according to the REINDEX dox, i should see a 'REINDEX' if all is
> well, and i never do, i'm just dumped back to another backend> prompt.
> Any ideas?

No idea here sorry...
> "the West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or
> religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence.
> Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
>   - Samuel P. Huntington

Attachment