Re: fairly current mysql v postgresql comparison need for - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joel Rees
Subject Re: fairly current mysql v postgresql comparison need for
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 05:07:00PM -0500, Richard Welty wrote:
> > people who turn off these features to gain speed are asking for a world of
> > hurt somewhere down the line.
>
> No, they're not.  They're planning that there will be some poor
> schmoe who'll have to clean up the work ;-)

Either that, or the data is expected to be(come) throw-away before real
clean-up matters.

(From what I've seen, expectations about how valuable the data is going
to be often miss the mark widely to either side.)

> (These are, by the way,
> the same folks who are always advocating doing the transaction
> management "in the application: it's faster."  Mostly, as far as my
> experience goes, it's faster because it doesn't work.)

It's important to have both types of products (i. e., do-it-right
products and get-it-done products). The evil, unforgivable sin is when
one "side" tries to take over the market, because if that happens either
everyone becomes too busy doing it right to get it done, or everyone
becomes too busy getting it done to do it right. Either way, the market
falls over.

That's painting things a little too black and white, I suppose, ...

--
Joel Rees <joel@alpsgiken.gr.jp>