Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Brown
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
Re: location of the configuration files
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> If you want ps to display the data dir, you should use -D.  Remember, it
> is mostly important for multiple postmaster, so if you are doing that,
> just use -D, but don't prevent single-postmaster folks from using
> PGDATA.

Perhaps the best compromise would be to change pg_ctl so that it uses
-D explicitly when invoking postmaster.  That's an easy change.

Could you describe how you and other developers use PGDATA?  I'm quite
interested in knowing why there seems to be so much resistance to
removing the "potential_DataDir = getenv("PGDATA");" line from
postmaster.c.

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com