Tuning scenarios (was Changing the default configuration) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Brown
Subject Tuning scenarios (was Changing the default configuration)
Date
List pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
> If I thought that pgbench was representative of anything, or even
> capable of reliably producing repeatable numbers, then I might subscribe
> to results derived this way.  But I have little or no confidence in
> pgbench.  Certainly I don't see how you'd use it to produce
> recommendations for a range of application scenarios, when it's only
> one very narrow scenario itself.

So let's say you were designing a tool to help someone get reasonable
performance out of a PostgreSQL installation.  What scenarios would
you include in such a tool, and what information would you want out of
it?

You don't have any real confidence in pgbench.  Fair enough.  What
*would* you have confidence in?

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com