Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re: [pgsql-advocacy] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Changing the default configuration (was Re: [pgsql-advocacy]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 11 Feb 2003 10:56 pm, you wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > What if we supplied several sample .conf files, and let the user choose
> > which to copy into the database directory?   We could have a "high read
> > performance" profile, and a "transaction database" profile, and a
> > "workstation" profile, and a "low impact" profile.
>
> Uh ... do we have a basis for recommending any particular sets of
> parameters for these different scenarios?  This could be a good idea
> in the abstract, but I'm not sure I know enough to fill in the details.

Let's take very simple scenario to supply pre-configured postgresql.conf.

Assume that SHMMAX=Total memory/2 and supply different config files for

64MB/128Mb/256MB/512MB and above.

Is it simple enough?
Shridhar