Re: RedHat attitude - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Re: RedHat attitude
Date
Re: RedHat attitude  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Le Lundi 16 Décembre 2002 10:44, Gavin Sherry a écrit :
> LETS GET ON WITH THE JOB.

Your opinion is that RedHat will not close RedHat database souces. On the
converse, I think they will.

Please consider RedHat 8.0 software installer, KDE 3.0 fork, etc... These are
obvious moves towards reducing access to source code. RedHat wants to please
the financial community and is driving away from its roots.

Sorry Gavin, I have some business experience founding several companies. My
companies are still alive. I have a huge respect for PostgreSQL hackers work
and skills.

Here is the opinion of a 32 year-old guy who got screewed several times before
he actually understood the power of greed in business :

MAKE SURE TO SETTLE PROBLEMS BEFORE THEY ACTUALLY ARRIVE.

To avoid PostgreSQL image being broken in the future, some PostgreSQL new
developements should be released under ***activist*** licenses comparable to
pgAdmin license.

It would be a win-win situation :
- RedHat benefits from PostgreSQL software whever they keep PostgreSQL name,
- PostgreSQL group benefits from RedHat support as regards employment.

I see no conflict. Otherwize, a conflict may appear whenever PostgreSQL
becomes really successfull. In business, this is usually the case :
everything is OK when you don't earn money, people fight when money is at
stake.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE