Re: Version Numbering - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Version Numbering
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Jason,

> But I do know it will be no small deal for me when it is available, and
> don't I think I'm alone. I can see the headlines now: "PostgreSQL 8.0 - The
> best ORDBMS now available on Windows!"

This is *not* a discussion I want to have on Hackers.   There are already
programmers on Hackers who aren't keen on the whole idea of an advocacy
group; asking them to change version numbers for marketing reasons would be
pouring gasoline on the fire.

> Then after that, all I need is a way to sync the row differences (insert,
> delete, updates only) since last sync. If I could 'play' a transaction log
> to one or more remote databases, then archive it, I'd be happy. Of course
> I'd need Win<->Unix compatibility, because remote machines would most likely
> be windows, and they'd be syncing to our unix master server. This is because
> most of our clients don't have a persistent link. They sync with us, we
> audit, fix, tally, and send it back. At the point of sending it down, all
> sites have consistency.
> Does something like this exist now? Right now we get all the data, for a few
> kilobytes of changes!

Point-in-time restore is a goal for 7.4.   Whether this will extend to
log-based replication is beyond me.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions