Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From SZALAI Karoly
Subject Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 11:43:56AM +0100, Sander Steffann wrote:
> > (mirroring).  A hardware RAID controller is faster than
> > software RAID.
> lot faster than hardware RAID in many cases. I prefer hardware RAID myself
> because of the simplicity (the OS doesn't need to know about the RAID
> configuration), but I hear good results from people running on software
> RAID.

yes, hw raid is simply, but it's slow.

i've tested it many brand machine. ibm serveraid card w/ raid5 is
about HALF speed than sw raid. according to bonnie++, debian,
2.4.19+grsec kernel.
the machine ibm xseries 255, 2 xeon mp cpus, 4x18G 10k rpm disk.
the bonnie tested with 6G files, 1.5G physical ram and 1G swap.

if somebody needs those results, i can send it.
--
CZW