Re: Press release for 7.3 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Press release for 7.3
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 03:22:02PM +1100, Justin Clift wrote:
>  - We should mention as soon as possible in it that the whole .info and
> soon-to-be .org domain name registries run on PostgreSQL.  If we can
> somehow illustrate that all of the proposals for the .org contract were
> either Oracle "High Availability" solutions or PostgreSQL, and that we
> still won, all the better.

That's not quite true.  One of the proposals used MS SQL Server.
(They said they had 16 licenses of SQL Server Enterprise donated by
MS to them.  I wasn't sure exactly what they'd need that many
licenses _for_ exactly; but then, I'm used to being able to set up
another database without worrying about software costs.)

> licensing means you can use PostgreSQL at no cost, in as many projects
> or installations as needed, and don't even have to tell us about it."

Not just this.  Not-GPL means also that you can sell the product
without worrying about the "viral" stuff, in case people happen to
believe the MS FUD about the GPL.  (Please, no license flames.  They
are more boring than daytime TV.)  This one really does matter to a
lot of people.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110