Unable to connect to the server - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Lee Tuck
Subject Unable to connect to the server
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hello,
I am a new user to pgAdminII. I faced some problem
during the installation in Windows 2000. Below are the
errors:
Error 1931. The Windows Installer service connot
update the system file C:\WINNT\System32\hhctrl.ocx
because the file is protected by Windows. You may need
to update your operating system for this program to
work correctly.

After the installation, i try to connect to the
server. the server is located locally. Below are the
errors i faced during the connection to the server:
An error has occured in
pgAdminII:frmConnect.cmdConnect_Click:
Number:-2147467259
Description : Could not connect to the server. Could
not connect to the remote socket.

I am using cygWin as the Unix emulator. I started the
cygWin-ipc_Daemon and the postmaster service.
Postmaster service is started using the below command:
postmaster -D /usr/share/postgresql/data &

the configuration in the pg_hba.conf is as below:
host all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust

i connect to the server using the below configuration:
server : localhost
port : 5432
username : postgres
password : ****