Re: oid2name and relfilenode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: oid2name and relfilenode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > >     Rename oid2name to relfilenode2name and install by default
> > >

> > Actually, to be accurate, I think databases are stored based on their
> > oid and tables/indexes are stored based on their relfilenode.  That is
> > pretty confusing.  Do we still do the renaming?
>
> I don't think we should do either of these.  Instead of giving people
> tools to dig around in the internals, let's give them tools to get the
> information they really want.  Not sure what that is though.

That's the problem.  People sometimes need to access those files from
the file system level. There are just too many variations of why they
need that I don't think there is any way to anticipate them.  If someone
comes up with a better idea, I am all ears, but seeing as nothing better
has appeared since it was first written, I think we need to move forward.

I will add these items to the TODO list, unless someone else votes.  I
think they are too important to have in /contrib (and we moved
pg_resetxlog/pg_controldata from /contrib in 7.3) and I think
relfilenode is better than OID so people start using that rather than
OID for filename mapping.

Pennsylvania19073