Re: how do i insert an empty string ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jeff
Subject Re: how do i insert an empty string ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Peter Galbavy wrote:

> FAQ: A search yielded nothing explicit...
>
> I have an INSERT statement:
>
> INSERT INTO metadata (md5, origin, name, value)
>               VALUES ('fd859f263bd0579935f2146a22d24f32', 'EXIF',
> 'UserComment', '')
>
> but this fails (using Perl DBI, DBD::Pg) because $dbh->quote() returns two

Since you are using DBI, why not bind the variables and be done with it?

this would become
$query = $db->prepare("INSERT INTO metadata (md5, origin, name, value)
$query->execute($md5, $origin, $name, $value);

This way you don't have to deal with double quoting and all that. (You can
also call bind_param, but I find it easier to just pass args into execute)

Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>                  http://www.jefftrout.com/  Ronald McDonald, with the help of cheese
soup,     controls America from a secret volkswagon hidden in the past