Re: Oracle beats up on Open Source Database(s) ... and - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Oracle beats up on Open Source Database(s) ... and
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 16:14, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > Just in case anyone enjoys these sorts of things :)  It deals with the
> > whole .org TLD assignment ...
> >
> >     http://forum.icann.org/org-eval/gartner-report
>
> I like this one:
>
> | Unlike many of the conventional commercial databases, PostgreSQL has
> | offered advanced Object Relational capabilities for years, including
> | inheritance. Ms. Gelhausen is quite correct that these are important
> | capabilities, finally available with the release of Oracle9i. We
> | applaud Oracle's continued efforts to close the gap and stay
> | competitive with this, and other open source database features.

Yes, I found the thread assuming.  Here are the choice parts from the
Oracle posting:

> PostgreSQL, like many other open source database products, has been in
> the market for many years with very little adoption.  Unlike the

Oh, someone should tell our huge user base.

> open-source operating system market, the open-source database market has

"We support Linux, so I can't bad mouth open-source OS's."

> been unsuccessful due to the complexity of customer requirements and
> sophistication of the technology needed.  PostgreSQL is used primarily

Fear-uncertainty-doubt.  "Express it as fact and people will belive it."

> in the embedded system market because it lacks the transactional
> features, high availability, security and manageability of any
> commercial enterprise database.

He is confusing us with MySQL.   "Oh, they are all the same;  doesn't
matter."

[ Quotes of lots of stuff PostgreSQL has had for years that Oracle just
added recently.  Is he trying to make Oracle look good?  ]

> While there is a place in the industry for open source software.  It
> will be many years, if ever, that an open source database matches
> Oracle's database technology for the availability, standards support,
> performance, manageability, security, application support, and stability
> that most real-world business applications require.

Fear-uncertainty-doubt (FUD).

> thank you.
> Jenny Gelhausen
> Oracle Marketing