Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
This email brings up another issue I have seen recently.  The use of the
word "object", "strongly object", or "*object*" with stars is a very
confrontational way to express things.  It does not foster discussion;
it really puts your heal in the ground and presents a very unswerving
attitude when it really isn't necessary nor valuable.

It is not just this email, but several people on this list who are doing
that now, and it is making for more negative discussions.  Thomas has
mentioned it too.

As I have said before, everyone gets one vote.  It doesn't matter how
hard to "object" to something. It is the force of your argument that
affects the votes, not how strongly you express your dislike of
something.

One effect of this environment is that you end up coding to avoid
"objections" rather than coding to meet users needs.  Certainly the
people who express objections are providing valuable feedback to help
improve patches/features, but it should be done in a way that doesn't
give the impression they are in a courtroom and when you post something
incorrect, some lawyer is going to jump up and yell "object".