Re: Help automate pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From William Meloney
Subject Re: Help automate pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello, Evan,

We use RedHat 7.2

Do an su to (or login as) postgres and create a cron job that runs your backup script.  When cron runs the job it
assumesthe postgres user ID and runs the job, hence no username or password needed.  Note, it maybe necessary to
re-establishposgtres' rights locally if they have been modified from the original install.

Good luck.

>We just upgraded from 7.1.3 to 7.2.1 and are at a loss on how to
>script the pg_dump routine. We use this tool for backup, but can not
>get around the requirement for username/password to be interactive.
>
>We require login from the localhost, and can not revert to trusted
>connections.
>
>If the username/password must be interactive, how can I script backup
>of the server?
>
>Evan,

Best regards.
William Meloney